Windows 8 Previewed
Microsoft previewed its next generation operating system, codenamed 'Windows 8.' The OS work-in-progress has been redesigned from the ground up for touch, and is slated to work across a variety of devices, from touch tablets to mouse and keyboard desktops.
Here are a few aspects of the new interface we showed today:
• Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
• Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
• Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
• Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
• Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.
Here's a video showing Windows 8 in action.