Acronis Reveals "Backup and Recovery" Results
Singapore, 16 Dec 2010 - Acronis releases research data which unveils that consumers are generally aware of the need for backup and recovery, even if they are not carrying it out regularly enough.
When surveyed, 83 percent of consumers stated that they understand the need to back up; indicating that awareness of the technology is increasing and is catching up with other more established consumer technologies such as antivirus software.
However, despite the awareness of the technology, much of the data on PCs and laptops is not being protected. Almost a third (29 percent) of consumers do not back up the files, photos, and music on their machines at all, while a quarter (25 percent) state that they only back up when they remember. In fact, only 15 percent back up on a regular basis (once a week or more).
The research revealed that people are well-educated about backup and recovery, with only a small minority of consumers stating that they do not back up because they do not think that their data is at risk or because they are ignorant about the subject matter. Apathy is the main barrier with almost half of consumers (48 percent) stating that they know they should back up but they do not do it or do not do it correctly.
While consumer attitudes to backup and recovery may be complacent, the survey indicates that people do fear the prospect of losing all their data and the consequences of not backing up. For instance, 62 percent of consumers fear the prospect of their PC or laptop crashing, losing their machine or it being stolen, as opposed to just under a third of consumers who fear virus attack (31 percent).
Why backup and recovery is just as important as antivirus:
- Backup and recovery tools can actually protect you if your antivirus fails. If your computer gets infected, simply roll back to the last good backup and reinstall.
- Antivirus may protect your machine from viruses, but what happens if the hard drive fails (which is highly likely eventually as technology does not last forever)? With backup and recovery software you can reinstall your system, applications and files to a new computer or PC.
- How about if your laptop gets lost or stolen? Where are your files? With online backup and recovery you can simply download your files to a new PC from a secure location.
- What happens if you did not update your security software and your PC cannot access the file you downloaded? Would you lose all your previous data?
- What would happen if your operating system does not start when you switch on your computer? Do you say goodbye to your data?
Acronis surveyed 440 consumers both face-to-face and online in August 2010. Respondents were questioned in France, Germany, UK, APAC, Sweden, and Spain. 46 percent were female and 54 percent were male.
Acronis created the following video when questioning people for this survey - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSYfZwUdD0