If you are familiar with our audio reviews, we usually test speakers across four categories, but since the Philips Fidelio Primo DS9000 was designed primarily for use with iPods/iPhones, we’ll be restricting our tests to CD audio and MP3 testing, with the CD tracks ripped to a lossless format and then synced to our iPhone test mule.
Basically, we want to look out for the Fidelio Primo DS9000’s musical sensibilities. Hence, we’ll be playing a variety of different tracks to see how the speakers would perform across different genres such as acoustic, jazz, orchestral and trance.
Of course, different people have different musical and sonic tastes. Some are bassheads while others are treble freaks, so your preferences with speakers may vary.
The complete list of testing material is as follows:
CD Audio Testing:
- Pod Race Scene from The Phantom Menace
- ?Tyrannosaurus Rex Sound Effects from Jurassic Park?
- Theme from Jurassic Park?
- Apollo 13 Lift-off Sound Effects?
- Theme from Cutthroat Island
- ?Fanfare for Louis, performed by the Dallas Wind Symphony
MP3 Audio Testing:
- Hotel California - Eagles?
- Sail on Soothsayer - Buckethead
- ?Melt My Heart to Stone - Adele?
- Elements of Life - Tiesto