The AOpen i855GMEm-LFS
The new AOpen i855GMEm-LFS is a Micro ATX motherboard with full on-board features for the enthusiast who wants to build a small, silent and high performance desktop PC. It's based on the Intel 855GME chipset which comes with an integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 video engine. Although the board has built-in graphics, users who want to use their own graphics card can choose to use any modern 1.5V AGP graphics card although the 855GME only supports up to AGP 4x speed. Paired with the 855GME is the ICH4-M south bridge which supports basic features like PCI, USB 2.0 and IDE storage.
The motherboard comes with the following items:-
1x 80-conductor Ultra ATA-100 cable
1x Floppy drive cable
1x SATA data cable
1x SATA power cable
Thermal compound satchet
Low profile cooler
Rear ATX I/O shield
CD with drivers and utilities
Promise SATA driver diskette
Quick installation guide
The AOpen i855GMEm-LFS motherboard.
As you can see, the accessories are rather minimal and should be sufficient for most users. However, it would have been better if AOpen bundled complete sets of data cables for the IDE and SATA ports.
You'll also notice that the board comes with a low profile cooler. Although the motherboard uses the standard Socket-478 retention mechanism, one should bear in mind that the height of the Pentium M processor is lower than the standard Pentium 4 packaging. Because of this, not every Socket-478 cooler is suitable for this motherboard. Also, since Pentium M processors do not come with a heat slug, installation of the heatsink should be done with utmost care, as you do not want to crush the fragile silicon die and watch your investment go down in less than a fraction of a second.
The bundled low-profile cooler.
The unique Socket-479 for Intel Pentium M processors.
The Pentium M processor installed in the motherboard's socket. The processor is locked onto the socket by turning the screw in a clockwise direction.
The cooler installed on the motherboard. The installation of the heatsink is similar to that of a Pentium 4.
Let's look at the board's technical specifications below before we proceed further :-
AOpen i855GMEm-LFS Technical Specifications
- Supports Socket-479 Intel Pentium M processors (Banias / Dothan)
- Supports 400MHz FSB
- Supports processors with 1MB and 2MB L2 cache
- Intel 82855GME North Bridge
- Supports DDR 200/266/333 unbuffered non-ECC memory up to 2GB
- 400MHz front side bus
- Supports AGP 4X (1.5V)
- Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2
- Intel 82801DBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH4-M)
- Supports 32-bit/33MHz PCI bus
- Supports dual channel Ultra ATA-100 ports
- Supports up to six USB 2.0 ports
- Integrated 10/100Mbps Ethernet controller
- 2 x 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs
- Supports dual-channel DDR 200/266/333 unbuffered DIMMs
- Supports up to 2GB
- Supports memory modules from 256MB to 1GB
- Supports 2.5V DDR SDRAM
- 2 x Ultra ATA-100 IDE ports supported by the ICH4-M (up to 4 devices)
- Support for PIO, UDMA-33, UDMA-66, Ultra ATA-100 IDE devices
- 2 x SATA ports supported by the Promise PDC20579 controller
- 1x floppy connector (360KB - 2.88MB)
- 2x serial ports (1x in the rear, 1x via header)
- 1x parallel port (SPP/EPP/ECP)
- 1x PS/2 keyboard
- 1x PS/2 mouse
- 1x VGA port
- 6x USB 2.0 ports (4x ports in the rear, 2x ports via header)
- 2x IEEE1394a Firewire ports based on Agere FW3226-100 controller (2x
- 2x RJ-45 Gigabit LAN port with LED
- Audio ports for on-board Realtek ALC655 audio controller (Mic, Line-In
- 1x AGP 4X graphics slot (1.5V only)
- 3x 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots, PCI 2.2 compliant
- Supports ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
- Supports Suspend to RAM (S3)
- Wake On PCI Card / Wake On Modem / Wake by RTC Timer
- Power-on by switch
- Power-off by Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/NT shut down and switch
- Micro ATX Form Factor : 244 x 244mm
- Fits into regular ATX or Micro ATX case
- 4Mbit (512KB) Flash ROM
- Award Flash BIOS with PnP and ACPI features
- Multi-boot on SATA, LS120, ZIP, ATAPI CD-ROM, SCSI, IDE, USB, LAN